Hello! I am reviewing an exfoliant today. My skin is sensitive, acne prone and I am used to actives like AHA, BHA, vitamin C, peptides. I fell in love with BHA when I used The Ordinary AHA BHA peeling solution. It is a brilliant formulation which I will review soon. AHA BHA peel can be used only once a week but I wanted to use BHA more frequently so I got Suganda BHA serum few months back. Here is my review after using it in all ways for more than 6 months.
What is BHA?
BHA is short form of Beta Hydroxy Acid – salicylic acid. It is a chemical exfoliant meaning it exfoliates the skin under surface. BHA is oil soluble, it penetrates deep into skin and dissolves sebum. It works excellently to lose connection between deep blackheads/whiteheads and skin. The connection loses and comedones fall off naturally. Many people say only oily skin type should use BHA and dry skin type should use AHA. Well, I do not believe in that. I have used both acids. They address different issues and work brilliantly provided you find a good formulation! Let’s get into review now.
Few Points to Remember
- Always wear sunscreen in day time – chemical exfoliants increase photosensitivity
- Do not mix other actives like AHA, vitamin c, retinol in the same routine.
- Go very slow with actives.
- 2% Salicylic Acid Serum with Gotu Kola And Green Tea
- Salicylic Acid is a good exfoliant and fantastic anti aging ingredient beneficial for all skin types. It is also anti inflammatory, anti bacterial.
- It exfoliates both on outer surface of skin like lactic acid but also enter inside pores and helps reduce pore blockage. So it is very good for acne.
- Gotukola is a fantastic skin rejuvenation herb and Green Tea is a great anti Oxidant with sun protective properties and also helps reduce acne.
- pH of the product is around 5. Most acids are only active when their pH is less than 4. And this stings for few people who have sensitive skin or damaged skin barrier. Since Salicylic aicd is also proven to exfoliate skin at a skin friendly pH, it is a good exfoliant for sensitive skin who cannot tolerate very low ph products.
Serum is housed in dark amber glass bottle. There is no outer packaging. All Suganda products are packed in cardboard packing without using plastic wraps. Full ingredients and usage instructions are mentioned on the label.
Texture & Smell
Suganda BHA serum is watery light. It has brownish tint. This serum doesn’t contain any particular smell.
Aqua, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Green Tea Extract, Gotu Kola Extract, Trimethylglycine, Salicylic Acid, Sodium Lactate Xanthan Gum, Phenoxylethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Sodium Hydroxide
My Experience with Suganda BHA Serum
I started using this serum once in a week in my PM routine. I apply this on clean dry face. The serum is watery thin, it absorbs quickly into skin. I always wait for 5-10 mins to let it absorb completely. I was expecting a bit of tingling effect but this serum dint tingle or irritate my skin. I woke up with tiny white bumps on certain areas. BHA brought under surface comedones on top and such white bumps are very fragile they get burst on their own.
I have used this serum very patiently and I have observed the same results all time. It brings under surface comedones on top but does nothing to cystic acne. Also, I haven’t noticed major difference in sebum control. My major concern to use BHA is to dissolve cystic acne which The Ordinary peeling solution does wonderfully but not this serum. May be it is too mild for me.
Suganda BHA serum has never given me breakouts or irritation however I feel it is not for me. It has works amazingly on many people but not on me.
Price, Shelf Life & Availability
699 INR for 20ml glass bottle with 1 year of shelf life, available on suganda.co and amazon.
This is a very mild BHA serum. If you are an acid beginner, you can pick this. I have stated in detail that it has not worked on my skin but it doesn’t mean it will not work on you! Each skin is unique and it reacts differently.
Hey there! Thank you for stopping by and reading this post! I would love to know your thoughts in the comments below. Got any suggestions or requests for reviews or any skin concerns or just chit-chat or anything, we are just an email away to discuss!!! Feel free to shoot me an email here – email@example.com, I will reply for sure pinky promise! I would love to connect with you!